Developing the skills of young people is vital to the business economy, and employers are asking how they can help. In response to this, the Jobs Growth Wales programme, led by the Welsh Government, supports employers willing to help young people gain work experience and enable them to enter sustained employment.
What is Jobs Growth Wales?
Jobs Growth Wales is a package of support from the Welsh Government to help companies, such as yours, recruit job ready young people, aged 16 – 24, into a paid job opportunity for a six month period. The participant will need to fit a certain criteria governed by the initiative
- Participants must be employed.
- They must be in receipt of the National Minimum Wage (NMW) for their age range; employers may however augment the NMW rate for programme participants, if they so choose.
- Participants must be employed for a minimum of 25 hours
in any seven day period and a maximum (for the purposes of
support) of 40 hours per seven day period
What level of support would employers receive?
The Welsh Government, via Acorn, will reimburse the wage to employers at the minimum wage rate level up to the agreed 40 hours for a 26 week period.
What are the benefits of Jobs Growth Wales?
- Receipt of a wage subsidy via the Welsh Government - from the 1st August 2016 new entrants will be funded at 50% of the wage bill now paid (not including National Insurance contributions).
- A cost-effective way of developing and shaping your workforce for a future, projected role.
- Support for you to find the right young person for your business via Acorn.
- An opportunity to be part of an innovative initiative.
How can Acorn help?
We will provide a matching service, which makes a positive impact to your bottom line.
Working with Careers Wales and JobCentre Plus, Acorn will establish a network of keen, motivated people all looking for an opportunity to contribute to the workplace.
You will have access to an online application process so you can view and select suitable applicants for you to interview
Once you have recruited a young person in to your business, Acorn will continue to support you both throughout the programme. On completion, we will advise on any additional support available to your business and young person, moving forward.
What’s the next step?
If you have an opportunity within your company to create a role that would support a young person and would like to explore the possibility of taking part in this programme, your next step is to check your eligibility via the Skills Gateway form online.
Once you have completed the form and confirmed you’re eligible, please select Acorn as your chosen management agent, and we will be delighted to discuss your application further. If you find we’re not available in your selection, please contact us and we’d be happy to advise you.
For further information contact us here or call 01633 674 555